Dog Training- Therapy Dog Academy
You must read, understand and be willing to abide by the Gold Star Dog Training Policies before registering. See link below, under "Additional Forms & Files", for the policies.
You must read, understand and be willing to abide by the Gold Star Dog Training Policies before registering. See link below to the policies.
Dogs do not attend the first class.
Dogs must have taken a Gold Star class or receive permission from the instructor before enrolling.
Dogs must be social with people, tolerant of dogs, and not show any signs of aggression or reactivity.
This course does not result in therapy dog certification, nor does it guarantee certification.
The fee includes one person and one dog.
So, your dog wants to be a therapy dog? Well, we’ve got a course for that!
This 6-week course gives dogs and handlers the necessary skills for not only passing the test, but also for working successfully as a therapy dogs team.
The course is taught by Deb, who has been a therapy dog handler since the mid-1990s, has had 6 therapy dog partners over the years, and has directed a large therapy dog certification and training program since 2005.
Option 1: Register with your dog
This registration option reserves a spot in class for one dog and one person. Due to covid, there can only be one person in attendance with each dog. This is to maintain a safe number of people in the class space. Exceptions cannot be made at this time, sorry. Additional family members are permitted to attend the orientation evening, the first night of class, dogs stay home that night.
Option 2: Register without a dog
This registration is for anyone who would like to attend the class without a dog. Only one person per registration due to covid.
Instructor: Deb Helfrich, Goldstar Dog Training Owner
Bio: Deb is the owner of Gold Star Dog Training LLC, based in Fairfax, VT. She enjoys working with dogs and their handlers to solve their challenges, build a healthy dog-handler relationship, and achieve their training goals. She is highly student-focused, adept at explaining concepts, helping every student feel successful, and creating training experiences that are meaningful and effective. Deb’s sense of humor, enthusiastic teaching style, and ability to work with a wide range of students are what clients seem to like about her.
Benefits of attending class without a Dog:
Access to Gold Star Dog Training's effective, easy-to-follow training program: Training materials, weekly step-by-step training guides, exercises, and videos.
Instructor support: To help you learn the techniques and answer questions.
Not having to delay your training if your pup is too young or you don't have a dog yet.
Maybe your dog isn't a good candidate for a group class: fearful, reactive, or out-of-control dogs need basic training just as much (if not more!), but sometimes aren't ready to join a group class. This allows you to work on your dog in the comfort and safety of his or her own home, with full training support.
- All Registrations are done online and there are two payment options at Checkout.
- 1. ONLINE PAYMENT OPTION- is with a credit card (convenience fee of $2 or 3.5 % is added, whichever is higher). Use this option to pay your balance in full and the person you are registering is enrolled in the programs that you have chosen. The Online Payment Option is available until the deadline (if there is one), or the day before the program begins, or in the case of a weekend program the Thursday before.
- 2. OFFLINE PAYMENT OPTION- is mailing, using the drop box, or bringing in a check or cash with the receipt that is generated after you register. Reminder- the person you are registering is not enrolled until payment is received.
- The Offline Payment Option, closes a week prior to the start of a program or deadline to register. This is done so that mailing in payment reaches us prior to the start of the program.
- When the Offline Payment Option is closed you can come into the Rec. Office to register and pay with cash or check prior to the first day of the program or before the deadline if there is one.
- Please create a household account prior to coming in if you don't have one already.
- Program numbers are checked one week prior to start date to see if minimum number is met. If not a program can be cancelled due to low enrollment.
- No registrations are accepted after the second meeting of a program.
- If a program is Full, you can register and will be put on a waiting list. No fee for waiting list.
- Don't Wait! Register Early! (A program might be cancelled due to low enrollment).