Dog Training- Therapy Dog Academy- Age 18+
You must read, understand and be willing to abide by the Gold Star Dog Training Policies before registering. See link below, under "Additional Forms & Files", for the policies.
You must read, understand and be willing to abide by the Gold Star Dog Training Policies before registering. See link below to the policies.
Dogs must have taken a Gold Star class or receive permission from the instructor before enrolling.
Dogs must be social with people, tolerant of dogs, and not show any signs of aggression or reactivity.
This course does not result in therapy dog certification, nor does it guarantee certification.
Registration includes the registered adult and one adult family member- 18+
(children permitted to observe only; must contact instructor in advance).
So, your dog wants to be a therapy dog? Well, we’ve got a course for that!
This 6-week course gives dogs and handlers the necessary skills for not only passing the test, but also for working successfully as a therapy dogs team.
The course is taught by Deb, who has been a therapy dog handler since the mid-1990s, has had 6 therapy dog partners over the years, and has directed a large therapy dog certification and training program since 2005.
Option 1: Register with your dog
This registration option reserves a spot in class for one dog and one person. Additional family members are permitted to attend the orientation evening, the first night of class.
Option 2: Register without a dog
This registration is for anyone who would like to attend the class without a dog.
Instructor: Deb Helfrich, Goldstar Dog Training Owner
Bio: Deb is the owner of Gold Star Dog Training LLC, based in Fairfax, VT. She enjoys working with dogs and their handlers to solve their challenges, build a healthy dog-handler relationship, and achieve their training goals. She is highly student-focused, adept at explaining concepts, helping every student feel successful, and creating training experiences that are meaningful and effective. Deb’s sense of humor, enthusiastic teaching style, and ability to work with a wide range of students are what clients seem to like about her.
Benefits of attending class without a Dog:
Access to Gold Star Dog Training's effective, easy-to-follow training program: Training materials, weekly step-by-step training guides, exercises, and videos.
Instructor support: To help you learn the techniques and answer questions.
Not having to delay your training if your pup is too young or you don't have a dog yet.
Maybe your dog isn't a good candidate for a group class: fearful, reactive, or out-of-control dogs need basic training just as much (if not more!), but sometimes aren't ready to join a group class. This allows you to work on your dog in the comfort and safety of his or her own home, with full training support.
- All Registrations are done online and there are two payment options at Checkout.
- 1. ONLINE PAYMENT OPTION- is with a credit card (processing fee of $2 or 3.5 %, whichever is higher, plus 10 cents is added). Using this option your balance is paid in full and the person is enrolled.
- 2. OFFLINE PAYMENT OPTION- is with check or cash. Using this option, you have to drop off payment at the Rec. Dept., or use the drop box at the back entrance to the Town Hall Building- 7900 Williston Rd.
- NOTE: When using the Offline Payment Option, the person is not enrolled until a check or cash is received and processed.
- Offline Payment Option closes a week prior to the start of the program.
- When the Offline Payment Option is closed you can come into the Rec. Office to register and pay prior to the deadline.
- Please create a household account prior to coming in if you don't have one already.
- Online Payment Option closes the night before the start date of the program or on Thursday evening if the program starts over the weekend.
- Program numbers are checked one week prior to start date to see if minimum number is met.
- No registrations are accepted after the second meeting of a program.
- If a program is Full, register for the waiting list using the Online Payment Option. No fee will be charged.
- Williston Residents can apply for Financial Assistance if needed. See Link Below
- Don't Wait! Register Early! (A program might be cancelled due to low enrollment).